User Experience Design
I am a User Experience Designer at CareerBuilder with a speciality in Interaction Design, which means I get to design how interfaces behave and respond to users. UX is the perfect rendezvous of my interests in technology, design, and psychology. In my previous lives, I had a design business and also worked as a consultant at a software company.
To try to improve the design-dev handoffs, I created Interaction Flows, which seem to be helpful!
Illustrator and Character Designer
I have been drawing since I was 3 years old. Animation has been my lifelong source of inspiration. Growing up, I wasn't allowed to get out much but I could escape into the world of cartoons, anime, comics, and art. When I was 13 years old, I began building my first fan websites for properties like Sonic the Hedgehog, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Harry Potter, and others to feature my fan art. By 17, I was selling artwork at conventions.
I am now the Lead Character Designer and Character Artist for the comic series, Kamikaze. I've also done sequential art and illustrations for consultants, musicians, breweries, and corporate clients. Check out my art!
Other Dope Sh*t That I Do
(Yes, I did steal that from Kanye.)
I graduated from Kennesaw State University with a B.A. in International Affairs. In 2011, my partner and I were given the Honorary Delegate award by the US-Arab Relations Council in Washington DC at a Model Arab League Conference.
When I am not working, I train jiu-jitsu. I've only competed twice so far, won one, lost one. I have been training since 2015 and it is the first and only sport I've ever done.
Sometimes, I write. My most popular article, published on Athena Talks, has been "What Happened When I Started Speaking Up in Meetings" with over 6K views. I also have a 4-part series on how I was able to land my first UX job. My less-polished work just gets dumped on Tumblr.
Back in college, I completed the Toastmasters speaking program over the course of 2 years. At Momocon in 2017, I got to moderate and interview a few voice actors for Steven Universe to a crowd of about 2,500+. I've also spoken at various panels at conventions, meetups, and at the 2016 Year of the Superhero Gala for Amario Art Academy.
I've also been a library page, a preschool assistant, an usher at a symphony, a hospice volunteer, a server, and a freelance graphic designer. Every experience teaches me something new!
Interviews and mentions:
- NPR interview on the Kamikaze series with Lois Reitzes (She really is as elegant in real life as she sounds on the radio)
- Alexis Ohanian shared my Hipmunk fanart back in 2010
- Vector Maestros interviewed me in 2016 and we talked about my creative process
- Introductions and Q&A with the Voice Actors of Steven Universe
- Illustrated this UXBooth Article on Writing Survey Questions
- Was quoted in "What Your Designers Want You to Know" by Michelle Nickolaisen
- Provided insights for "Insights from Interviewing the Dribbble Community" by Phil K.-T.
- Wrote articles featured in Prototypr, UX Planet, and UX Design Collective
- My painting, "Between" was featured on Project Yellow Dress
- Illustrated Michelle Nicolaisen's article on HackerNoon: How to build a better marketing team
- Art is King interview on my artistic process